Friday, March 18, 2011

Hard news to process

It's been a rollercoaster week. Beezer had a successful first trial, Reckon is,well, a biting, energetic machine, and Amigo is feeling better, but I got some hard news on Wednesday.

You may recall that Amigo was limping last week. After resting her, medicating her and worrying about her, I finally decided to leave her at the vets for a day of poking, prodding and maybe even some x-rays. The doctor just needed to feel around a bit and look at her previous x-rays from November to tell me that Amigo's agility career was over. So were long uphill hikes, and stairs. Her lower lumbar spine has fused together in 2 places, and is working it's way up her spine. I know she's no spring chicken, but this was hard news to swallow. She and I had a pact that she wasn't to age!

I'm not sure who this will be harder on, me or her. She's my everything dog! I can't imagine not running her in agility. The vet did say she can do 6" jumps and tunnels, so we're not totally out of the running. And as a friend mentioned, she isn't taking this as hard as me. All she knows is "COOKIES!" And she'll definitely be getting lots of those. Her dream of becoming 600 pounds is slowly becoming a reality...

Who said "Cookie!?"


Give Amigo the cookies...



As Amigo's career is coming to a close, Beezer's is charging full speed ahead! His 2by2's are almost in a straight line, and his speed, distance and passion is growing!


Reckon won't be too far behind. That baby has no fear!


I can do this whole teeter thing no problem!



At Reckon's last weigh in on March 15th, he clocked in at 34.5 Lbs. I also added a new protein to his diet, Beef. So we'll see how he does with that. He has decided to add dog poop to his list of delectable edibles. We're trying to break that habit asap.

I also can't help but notice that he's become super barky inside the house. Every noise from upstairs (which he has heard every bloody day since he's moved in) is something to bark his head off at. It doesn't help that he just isn't setteling after 2 hikes either. Maybe it's a fear stage, maybe the beginnings of the dreaded teenage stage. Or if I'm lucky, probably both. His habit of hanging off your pant leg, arm, any item of clothing, bedding, or anything else besides an appropriate toy, is increasing ten fold. Yay for Malinois puppies!!

Appropriate tugging:


Reckon's version of tugging:


Beezer is slowly starting to accept Reckon as part of the family, or at least accept the fact that he's not leaving anytime soon. Here's a picture I took of the two of them as close together as I could get them:


Will they play one day?!

No comments:

Post a Comment