Friday, April 13, 2012

18 months and Nosework class

Reckon turned 18 month this week. Time to mature into a polite young man. Or try.

I signed up the boys for Nosework class. Always something I wanted to do with the dogs, but classes were always held waayyy out in the Valley. These ones are only in North Burnaby, so I jumped at the opportunity.

We have had 2 classes so far, and both boys are doing great. It's interesting to see how different they work. Since Beezer has done a lot of shaping, he started offering behaviours instead of smelling the dozen or so boxes for treats. It didn't take him long to get what the game was though!

I had no idea what to expect with Reck. Half of me feared he would go visit everyone or just eat the boxes. Well, that boy doesn't have a big nose for no reason. He NAILED it! It's like he had been taught in a past life. I couldn't believe how fast he learned the game. "I search these boxes for da cookies"

Everyone was very impressed, even our instructor Eileen. Unfortunately I didn't get any video of our first session, but here is a video of this weeks class. Remember he has only done this once before.




And here is the Beez Knees, so polite and methodical. When we first started class he would shape a leg lift or stand on the boxes. "I offer dis trick. Nope. Dis one? Nope. Oh yes, look for cookies in box"
But after he figured out the game, he did beautifully:

No comments:

Post a Comment