Monday, May 14, 2012

I love her but...


I know I know, never a good way to start a blog post.  I adore Avi, I really do, but this fear barking is too much sometimes.  It's like having Beezer all over again.  Now, Beezer has turned into a WONDERFUL dog, perfect really.  And he started off bad, he came home a nervous wreck! But with a lot of time and A LOT of patience, he is really a pleasure to live and work with.

But Avi is different.  She started off super confident.  And now anything or anyone she deems out of place she barks her arse off.  She runs towards barking with her hackles up, and I'm afraid she'll get so scared she bites.  The only good thing is her recall is awesome.  So I can call her off and treat her while we move along.  She also barks at the same people she sees everyday.  Like Auntie Emma.  Or Tina. Or my mom. She will approach them barking and then the light bulb goes off,  "oh yes, I know you!"

At French Ring practice a few weeks back, I was in tears.  She was barking at EVERYONE.  These are people she's known from day one.  She really doesn't like kids.  She snaps at them if they get too close. Everyone said to send her back to the breeder.  I refuse.  I will do everything in my power to help her through it or at least get her to the point where she can ignore people.  She doesn't have to be the social butterfly Reckon is, just don't bark!



I will continue working on it throughout the summer and see how she does.  I love her so much, and even though she's a bitch in a little body, I'm not giving up.  Plus she has energy and drive to die for.  What I expected out of a Malinois (hint hint Reckon...)  She is a lot of fun to train, as she wants to!
What's interesting is she may be afraid/nervous of the Decoy, but will still engage with him and play tug. She only gets uncomfortable if he gets too touchy with her.  Then she will growl and warn him it's too much. But still better than letting go of the tug and biting his arm!



Enough negative stuff for one post.

R is doing well in Nose Work and Ring training, and when I can get him to Beezer's agility class he does well there too.



Beezer is a superstar in agility.  We have Regionals next month...

Amigo is the perfect little good child as always. I still love her the most.

I've been gardening a lot lately.  Everyone is very helpful.  Except their not.  At all. Beezer and Avion love the hose.



Amigo plants a tennis ball wherever you may be working.

 Or sitting.

And Avion is now obsessed with water buckets.  They're fun to splash around it!

It's very cute watching her place her ball (or toy) in the bucket.  She sinks it with her foot and puts her whole muzzle in the water.  She likes to place both front feet in and if there's room, scoop all the water out.
Plus she does cute things like this:


How can you give up on that adorable face?

No comments:

Post a Comment