Tuesday, January 5, 2010

An Unhealthy Trend

In just a little while, I'll be heading over to Job# 2. I know what you're thinking....Movie Star. Surprisingly you're wrong (It's only a matter of time before I'm discovered).
I work 4 hours a week at a local vet's office. It has it's pros and cons, like all jobs do. As an animal lover I find it difficult some days. Sure, sure, you get your uptight clients, and the people who think the sun shines out of their dog's ass, but what really gets me EVERYTIME is the amount of fat or obese dogs that walk into the clinic.

People say they love their dogs, but do they realize their loving them to death? My own 12 year old dog, Amigo has recently packed on a few pounds. I'll be the first to admit it. But even though she only needs to loose 4 lbs, I find it embarrassing! I HATE FAT DOGS. To be fair it's not their fault, so I'll rephrase, I hate OWNER'S who allow their dogs to become so overweight. (as it is my fault Amigo is a little chunky). There is no excuse (unless medical, which in many cases can be treated).

I can honestly say that during a day's work ( whether it be out hiking the dogs or working at the clinic, or when I used to work at a pet store, or a daycare for dogs) I've only been able to count on 1 hand the number of dogs that are an appropriate weight. And of course, I've heard every excuse in the book! Many people are ignorant, or uneducated, other's just don't seem to care. And its not an easy subject to bring up. Even the vet's are tired of repeating themselves. Nobody wants to hear their dog is fat, and I can understand that. It's not meant as an insult, just an observance. Please listen! We seem to care about the well being of your dog more than you do!

I'll help you with the first simple step. Less food. More exercise. Brilliantly simple.

Show you love your dog by taking it out for a walk. I promise your dog will still love you even if you cut back on the treats. And as an added bonus, you'll could potentially add years to your dog's life. It's a win win situation!!

Take a look at your dog right now. Really look. Can your dog stand to loose a few pounds?

Next up: "The many excuses for your dog being overweight"

No comments:

Post a Comment