Thursday, January 7, 2010

Procrastinating Queen

Every once in a while I go through a "I'm going to teach the dogs a new trick" phase. Sometimes I succeed, but mostly I just end up getting frustrated or impatient and then quit. But wouldn't it be cool to teach Beezer to back up? Or for Amigo to cover her eyes with her paw?! Hell yeah it would! And it's not like I don't have the time, or the tools or a dog that isn't motivated by food...'cause I have all those things. Plus I have the opportunity to train a puppy,whose brain is like a sponge just waiting to soak up something new! But then I get that overwhelming feeling again, and suddenly it seems a lot more fun to watch Peak Season (thanks, Jody), and take a nap instead.

For someone who is waiting for a Malinois puppy so that she can get into all kinds of different sports, and have a dog that can do it all, I'm not really taking full advantage of having a "starter" puppy on hand. I don't want to regret not doing enough with either of my dogs. They both have so much potential!

Any why can't I wait for Beezer to grow up?! I know I can't wait to start training him in agility, but there is so much foundation work I could be doing!

Grrrr. Well I guess instead of blogging about it, I should get my butt out of the chair, tear myself away from the computer and do something about it!

1 comment:

  1. I wish we all had puppies at once to have a puppy training challenge blog! That would be awesome...could post steps of teaching targets, hind end awareness, etc.

    I understand the procrastination thing though...lying on the couch cuddling with dogs is sometimes (most times) way more enticing than getting out a clicker and teaching something new.

    ReplyDelete