Monday, May 10, 2010

I hate teenagers

I can, once again, realize why most dogs are given up for adoption around 8 months. THEY ARE HORRIBLE. So horrible in fact, that it makes me wonder if Beezer has learned anything since we took him home.

He has always been a "barky" dog. Very vocal, no matter what his mood. But now we bark at EVERYTHING. All. THE. TIME. Also, we've discovered that men that jog, or especially those peddling on bikes, are creatures of the dark and must be destroyed. Barking is not enough though. The destruction of joggers and bikers takes on a whole new level of ninja skills. Distraction of food, toys and your name are no use. Even delicious morsel of hotdog, liver and chicken shoved into your mouth are not enough to distract you from your mission. Sometimes he is so petrified he can't even recognize his own existence, let alone a name or food distraction.
Even if these creatures are outside of the car, you are always on alert. Strollers, too cannot be trusted. Basically everything I tried to get you comfortable with, is now your arch nemesis. I am soooo frustrated!
To top it all off, he has an endless amount of energy. He'll be going for 2 hikes, daycare and some training, come home, sleep for 20 minutes and then be up and into everything until 9:00. Fun. He's now destroyed 3 dog beds, and thinks it's ok to grab food off your plate when said plate is in your hand. Awesome. Now it looks like I've never socialized, fed, trained or exercised my dog since the day we got him.
I really hope this is a fear stage and that we can work hard and push through it. I do have to remember that Fyvish used to chase joggers and bikes too. Although he wasn't afraid of them, so much as chasing them for the thrill of it. Fyvish, after a lot of hard work, was able to hike anywhere and joggers or things on wheels wasn't a concern. I know we can get past it, it's just that Beezer actions are more fear based, and sometimes NOTHING gets through to him.

Rant over.
To top off this list of wonderful new behaviours, he NEVER tires. he has an endless amount of energy. I don't know if the fear and endless energy are linked, but he constantly needs exercise! We've been doing either 2 hikes, or 1 hike and a few hours at daycare, PLUS a jog and he comes to work with me at the vet clinic on Tues. Even after all this activity he'll come home, sleep for 20 minutes and then be up and into everything until 9:00. Fun. He's now destroyed 3 dog beds, and thinks it's ok to grab food off your plate when said plate is in your hand. Awesome. Now it looks like I've never socialized, fed, trained or exercised my dog since the say we got him.

I'm trying to look at his as a warm up run for when I get my Malinois!

However, on a lighter note, he is doing well with his nose touches, nail trimming and can walk in high traffic areas no problem. There's nothing like 2 steps forward and 1 step back for raising a teenager!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment