Monday, May 10, 2010

Beezer has a title...

...and that title isn't just "Beezer, shut up" anymore! On May 8th Beezer successfully passed the Herding Instinct Test held out in Chilliwack. The Judge was Shelley Fritze, who I really liked.
I didn't know what Beezer would do. Actually that's not true, I knew he would bark. A lot. And I wasn't wrong. He barked because he was nervous, and it was so new and it smelled so good! Shelley was warned before hand that he was a soft dog (aka a pansy ass), so she took it easy on him, letting him bark and approach the sheep however he wanted. After she walked him around on leash following behind the sheep, she let him off, and voila! He was a pro. We don't have to send him back to the pound no more! He's not completely useless. He pretty much barked the whole time, but I knew he would and Shelley said he would most likely stop barking once he got more comfortable. Eventually, he stopped barking for about 20 seconds...I have it on film to prove it...then he started again.
In addition, not only did he have the *instinct* to gather the sheep, but he also knew to fetch any stray sheepies that left the herd. AND he even had enough instinct to know how to move the sheep on the fence! Not many dogs do that, especially their first time on sheep:) Such a clever boy!
I am really quite proud of him. Shelley asked us later if we would like to continue herding, and I made sure she was actually talking about my dog, and she responded with an upbeat "Yes, I think he could do quite well!" She had also commented earlier that she also liked the way he easily responded to her directions, whether with a stick or her body language.

That's my boy! I think this may also increase his confidence, not to mention burn off his endless energy!
I do hope we can find lessons a little closer than Chilliwack though...I think she may have mentioned teaching out in langley.

Pictures and vids to come soon.

1 comment: