Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Fyvish



I can only start by wishing that I started blogging sooner. Then this post wouldn't be quite so bitter sweet.
I'll start with a bit of background. My mom and I got Fyvish as a birthday present for my mom 6 years ago on June 21st 2003. He was supposed to be HER dog. This date also happened to fall on Amigo's 6Th birthday. Amigo asked for a refund immediately, or at least a tennis ball!
We already had two other dogs, Buster and Amigo (ages 15yrs and 6yrs respectfully), as well as 2 cats, Louie and Chatty. Nobody was too impressed with the addition to the family.
He was also the first male dog I had ever owned. (Even though they have male names, Buster and Amigo are both girls)

I was working at a Daycare for dogs at the time so I was fortunate enough to be able to bring my dogs to work. The first day I brought Fyvish in, I placed him with some smaller, more placid dogs and what was his reaction??!?!?!....HUMPING!! And so our journey began...

Fyvish was a momma's boy like no other. He was 100% my dog. Other people he knew could be holding his leash 3 feet from me and he would scream. And I don't mean a little sad crying scream...I mean shrieking like a little girl. He was my shadow, and the best part was I could take him ANYWHERE. He was great with children, other dogs, loud noises. Everything. Nothing could faze him. Nothing except his own flatulence, or if my mom farted. He didn't like it, it scared him.

His other most memorable trait was his humping. Boy could be hump. His favourite dog of choice were males, preferably black and taller than him. I can't count all the times I would scream "No Sexy" in the trails. God knows why I decided to coin his humping with that phrase.
He was also extremely territorial. He hated Oben (a NSDTR) who lived behind us. He never looked as vicious as when he ran back and forth along the fence biting the top railing. He patrolled our street like he owned it, but as soon as we left our little cul-de-sac, he would become his usual self.

He was wicked smart, and so confident, it was easy to train him. But with the Husky in him, he could be wicked stubborn too. He always kept me on my toes.
He was a crash course on owning a dog that wasn't perfect from the get-go. I never had a dog that needed training to NOT chase bikes, or joggers or motorcycles.

And even Amigo was starting to love him. She was more of a people dog, not really wanting to play with other dogs, unless she was throwing herself at an intact male...
One day, when Fyvish was a yound adolescent, I heard running and dancing out on the deck in the backyard. They were playing! Fyvish got Amigo to play, and they never stopped after that. She adored him, and visa versa. I will always be grateful to his boisterous confident personality that brought out Amigo's playfulness with other dogs.

Fyvish had so many funny quirks, I could fill a book with his antics. I will share more stories as time progresses, as well as add in the numerous things he taught me. But I will have to end this post with this:

Fyvish was truly a one of a kind dog. He drew people in with his wit and charm, not to mention his devilish good looks! He will always be loved and missed, and could never be replaced. I miss him dearly everyday and probably always will. He taught me so much, and will always hold a special place in my heart.

I love you Big Guy. Always and Forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment